Autism Ribbon

Autism Ribbon
Looking for the the rest of the puzzle

Pages

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Charlie Tuna

To Charlie Tuna I say happy would be birthday!  Those of who knew my brother he was called that when he was young; today would be his 40th birthday.  Do any of you have any funny stories about him?  Feel free to share.

I had to give a speech on the anniversary of his death last year.  Now, if you knew my bother you know he was a true smart ass and I think he set me up in class.  I was one of four left to give my speech, now I could have easily given this speech without getting emotional, BUT the student who went in front of me gave such a tremendously emotional speech the whole class was shocked, there was not a person in the class with dry eyes.  Well, I had to follow this geeezzzzzzzzzzz.  So I go to podium and can not speak, I am just standing there the girl (Kelly) is right in front of me; I told her thank you for such a beautiful speech, then thanked her for leaving me with the inability to speak.  She smiled at me and I tried again still not able to speak I said to the guy who was to follow me it was his turn, I told the teacher (who was still crying) I would take a zero.  I sat down, the next guy gave his speech; he said goodbye to his grandfather he passed away while he was overseas serving.  I do not think our class could have gotten any more emotional at that point.  There was now, myself and one more guy to go and we as a class had decided he had to go last because he was given our teacher an award as a joke.  All right, so I go back up to try again.  It was not easy, but I did it; my speech even gave them a laugh when I told the story of Fatty and Skinny, when I was done I received a standing ovation - probably just because they tired of seeing me.  Well the following is my speech from that day:

A Tribute to Chuck
Chuck,
            On this anniversary of your death, I am writing this tribute to you.  I want to say thank you for the life you have given me.   As a little boy your humor was always coming through.  Like dinner on your first day of Kindergarten when you had everyone's captive attention at the table; Mom excitedly asked you what you learned on your first day of school, and you being born a true smartass looked around at everybody and announced "I learned a poem today" of course you knew you then had everybody's attention.  Without much urging, you quickly said your poem, "fatty and skinny went to bed fatty rolled over and skinny was died". You then looked at our rather large mother and our quite skinny father and smiled.  You then got the response you wanted; everyone at the table was rolling on the floor with laughter.  Or how about when you would make Mom so mad and she would try to catch you to spank and you said "peish Mama, peish" while making the peace sign to her; you knew you were not getting a spanking.  Maybe your humor is how you dealt with being the youngest and the only boy in a house full of girls.
            We grew up best being best friends; both of us may have partied a little too much but we enjoyed life.  We definitely gave Mom and Dad a run for their money.  When Joe died, you were just a teenager, you did not try to be the kids Dad, but you stepped in so they had a male influence in their lives. Unfortunately they do not remember their Dad but they remember Uncle Chuck.  It would drive you crazy to see me alone, for years you were always trying to find someone for me.  Yet when Mom would get after me to get married again you were the first to tell her that I was a big girl and if I wanted to be married, I would.
            On the day you died part of me died too that I will never get back.  I was at a total loss; I had no one.  I think you knew this and this is what I want to so thank you for; in my heart I think you and Joe got together to find me someone who would meet all of my needs, but also be able to meet all of Joe's requirements for me.  I picture the two of you with a list of guys and checking them off until you got to one, Mike.  I knew it at your visitation, you know what I am talking about, but at your visitation, you couldn't have waited?  Come on.   
            All these years later we are still together, still love each other.  We joke about not having a perfect marriage but it is a marriage made in heaven.  You knew your sister very well, you knew I needed a younger husband, thank you very much for that!  He become my best friend and a great father to my kids, we have two more kids a little girl Shelby and a little boy, not only is named after you but looks just like you.
            So this is where I will close saying thank you again for the life you gave me, who knew that with your death I would be given a completely new life.  It is not a perfect life; we don't have much but we have a lot of love for each other and for all of our kids.  Give our whole big family a hug from me, maybe you can give Linda a birthday party today.  Play with my grandbabies for me and tell them funny stories about their Grandma.  I love you, Tammy
           
           

10 comments:

  1. thanks now i'm emotional......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, I used to be so jealous of you and Chuck. You always had so much fun!! This made me laugh so hard about Fatty & Skinny!! I remember him saying that so much!!! Then the tears started...I really miss him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember being at grandma and grandpa's house and wrestling in the kitchen. Right by the basement door. I would jump on him and then he would pin me. I would cry and as soon as he let me up I would go after him again. Happy Birthday Uncle Chuck. Give bigs hugs to everyone for me. Tell them I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can remember Chuck coming to my house on Thanksgiving one year after dinner and all the leftovers were on the table and Chuck came in and said to me "don't you know that you are suppose to cook that first?" Jenn I know you remember this one...Happy Birthday Chuck, I miss you dearly. I know you can't be with us physically, but you are in my heart and thoughts forever..Give hugs to everyone and tell them I love them

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was beautiful. I remember you telling me about that speech. I bet you were completely drained by the end of that day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well now I am crying. That was a wonderful speech.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw Sam, That is a wonderful tribute! I can still see little Chuckie running around the lilac bush in your yard, wearing only his tidy whities, yelling "Piesh Man! Piesh!" In my mind he will always be that little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Who can not remember that; oh my gosh he striped down to his undies all the time and always walking around saying that. He was a funny little kid!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this. I feel so lucky to have all my siblings still here with me. I don't know what I would do if I ever lost one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. yeah I understand that. I thought about all the loss our part of the family has had when I was reading Dana'a obit. Uncle Von was the first loss they really have had; I thought how great that was for them. How terribly sad for them though about Dana, my heart hurts for Aunt Grace and Jeanine.

    ReplyDelete